Time. We all live by it, struggle to keep it and wish there was more of it. Our days are overfilled with activities that ‘must’ get done, pushing us to race against the clock in a daily stress filled grind. However, it doesn’t have to be that way!
Let me introduce you to the Pareto Principle. This principle, also known as the 80-20 rule, states that 20 percent of your activities will account for 80 percent of your results. For example, if you have a list of 20 things you need to do, then 4 of those activities will be produce 80 percent of your results! This means that prioritizing your tasks daily is a must!
Here are some steps to help you prioritize your tasks so you can better manage your time to achieve greater results!
1. Write EVERYTHING down
- Do NOT leave anything thing out! Not even those standard daily activities you are responsible for no matter how insignificant or accustom to them you may be. This is where I and many people tend to get tripped up, resulting in our well intentioned plans getting thwarted by noon because we forget to complete those habitual activities!
2. Set PRIORITIES
- Go back through your the list and number every task from 1 to 5 according to the consequences you will experience if they are not completed today:
- 1: Maximum 2: Mild 3: Minimum 4: Delegate 5: Eliminate
3. WORK Your List
- Take your newly prioritized task list and create a new list grouping the tasks together by the level of their priority setting starting with level 1.
- Next, Delegate all your level 4 tasks. Your co-workers will really appreciate not having these slapped on them near the end of their day! Remember they have tasks they need to prioritize and accomplish too!
- Work your list from the level 1 activities to the level 3. Focus on completing one activity at a time before moving onto the next task. For those activities you were not able to complete today (hopefully all level 3s), simply add them to tomorrows new task list.
For a more convenient way to keep track of your daily prioritized tasks, add them to your free RocoCPM account!
Every time you create a new Task, add pertinent information like notes, files, priority setting and due date. Delegate tasks to others and receive tasks with ease. With a single click, tasks can be quickly and conveniently sorted by priorities, due dates and other filters. Once the task is completed, change it’s status so everyone will know the work you have done to help the team reach their goal!
What are some methods you use to keep your daily activities prioritized and accomplished?